The Music School follows the tradition started by the Settlement House movement a century ago, with a commitment to making quality arts education accessible to everyone. Financial aid for individual students is a significant part of the Music School’s budget.
Music School partnerships with public schools, preschools, retirement communities, public housing, and other human service agencies further expand access. The School’s Music in the Community Initiative (MICI) fosters those partnerships, allowing Music School faculty to teach hundreds of individuals across New Hampshire whose access is limited by disability, distance, or economic status.
Faculty members, making more than 600 visits to partnership sites annually, offer programs including jazz workshops at a residential institution for youth with neurological, developmental, and emotional disorders; weekly percussion classes at Manchester’s Beech Street Elementary School; a chorus for adults with developmental disabilities; a Music & Movement class for teenagers working with toddlers in an on-site daycare center at Huot Technical Center in Laconia; a drumming class for residents of a retirement community; and intensive workshops and master classes at high schools.
Music in the Community Initiative Recent and Current Partners:
- Schools in Concord, Manchester, Hopkinton, Barnstead, Campton, Amherst, Bristol, Littleton, Bow, Belmont, Salisbury, and Laconia
- 21st Century Community Learning Centers, Manchester
- Center for Health Promotion, Concord
- Pleasant View and Havenwood-Heritage Heights retirement communities, Concord
- The Children's Place, Concord
- Merrimack Valley Day Care
- Concord and Laconia Head Start
- Concord Hospital
- Riverbend Community Mental Health
- Spaulding Youth Center
- Concord Parks and Recreation
The Music in the Community Initiative (MICI) reaches hundreds of NH individuals facing challenges of disability, age, distance, or income level. It builds partnerships that support sequential learning over multiple years. Most of these partnerships exceed 7 years of continual service.
Thank you to the Lincoln Financial Foundation for their generous support of Music in the Community. #LincolnsLegacy